Hey ya’ll and welcome back,
I know everyone that loves flowers are enjoying this Spring. Mom’s Iris’s and Amaryllis are absolutely beautiful. And…you know the Humming Birds are back. Mom has her usual seat at the kitchen table watching them. 🙂
This week I finally got to this chair that my long-time client has been very patiently waiting on. They stumbled on it and bought it for $10. It is one of those chairs that you either go all the way with it, stripping years of paint off, or just giving it a nice easy
face seat lift. I did caulk it some but it made no difference, sanding drips and chipping paint, again no difference and that’s when I knew it would take more work required than anyone wanted invested in it.
You can see the upside down drips in paint on the back of the chair that absolutely would NOT sand out, the cracks and loose joints that could not be tightened because of so many coats of paint on the screws, etc. You get the picture, literally. 🙂
My clients wanted the chair to sit next to a Hoosier I had previously painted and Old White was the color chosen with dark wax. The first coat of paint really changed the look of the chair and by the time I put the dark wax on it you didn’t even see the upside down drips.
WOW what a difference! Project complete!
I love the details that show with the dark wax. All the layers of old paint brush marks really give the dark wax something to grab hold of.
I sacrificed one of the Tiger Lily’s for the picture. This is going to look fantastic next to the Hoosier.
Thanks for stopping in for the visit and don’t forget to say hi! FYI I have started working on that “domed chest” some of you might remember me talking about in an earlier post. I can’t wait to show you the transformation!
Hey ya’ll and welcome back,
We have had quite a bit of rain down here in my country and I took a drive down to Black Lake about 20 miles from my house. There are some very pretty places on this lake, but I am extremely afraid of snakes, cotton mouth and copper head snakes are rampant in areas like this. I thought I would share this picture I took.
Last week I showed you French Provincial table and chairs that I gave an updated look to and did my first upholstery job on. This week I have the hutch. It had the same yellowish finish with those black spots in the finish to give it some type of antique look I guess. I painted it Old White and I put a dark wax glaze on it. Here is the before…
Here are some details and then I will show you the finish.
And here is the hutch completed. It really has a new, fresh look.
If you look at last weeks post I gave some tips on the application of dark wax/glaze. I hope you enjoyed this weeks project. Each week brings something new and interesting for me and I hope for those that are looking for it you will find it too. 🙂
Thanks for stopping in for a visit and don’t forget to say hi.
Linking with MMS FFF
Hey ya’ll and welcome back,
I guess I’m one of those people who can’t seem to follow through all the way with all of my “tech stuff”. While at Kelli’s my Ipad was giving me some trouble so I took it into an Apple Store. They were not able to correct the problem so I was given a new one. BUT…I would lose all my pictures on the old one. “No prob” I said….”I linked to my laptop and downloaded all my pictures so I have it covered.” Well…the rest of the story is that I had NOT done what ever I was supposed to have done to make all of that happen so needless to say all my pictures of jobs that I had completed and would write posts on are now yea, you got it, LOST! That’s what happened last week and I was so frustrated with my self that I just threw the towel in for that week.
But this is another day and another job. We have been blasted with floor work and in the middle of all that I got a phone call. This sweet lady was referred to me by Tres Bien Antiques for an update to her French Provincial table and chairs. She also wanted the chairs recovered. Well…this was something that I had never done except in helping Kelli with her dining room chairs. But these were a lot more complicated. Miss Mustard Seed has given me super powers because I said “Yes I will recover them for you.” This is the old look.
This chair has the finish with the dots and it had a yellow look. The yellow is what she wanted changed so I painted them Old White and applied dark wax thinned down to a glaze. I wanted to “lighten” the color of the dark wax so the glaze would not be as dark so here is a tip.
TIP: To lighten the dark wax color mix clear wax with it. It totally gave me the color I was looking for. Here is another tip.
TIP: When I clean my dark wax brush I save the mineral spirits in an empty wax can. I use this to thin the dark wax to make my glazes.
I have no pictures of my recovering the chairs, I was so engrossed into the making the pattern, covering the piping, sewing and fitting to the chairs that no pictures were taken. 😦
This is the back of one of the chairs showing the reupholstered seat. I think it looks pretty darn good. Especially for my first time.
Here’s the table before. The apron and base were different colors because over the years the color had faded.
Here are the after pictures.
It all looks so much cleaner and softer. I love the way they turned out. Next week I will share the hutch I painted to match this dining room set.
Thanks so much for stopping in and don’t forget to say hi.
Linking to MMS FFF